LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (LPN)
OBJECTIVE SUMMARY: Assists in the delivery of primary health care and patient care management.
- Prepares patients for examination and treatment. Records chief complaint and vital signs.
- Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments
- Performs blood draws, EKGs, nebulizer treatments, pulmonary function tests, injections
- Prepares and maintains supplies and equipment for treatments of several providers
- Assists physicians in preparing for minor surgeries, physicals
- Performs the duties of a receptionist as needed (including front & back office duties)
- Maintains clinical supplies and equipment in stocking rooms
- Maintains patient files, records and other information
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations
- Maintains patient confidentiality
- Performs related work as required for several specialty doctors including but not limited to Urology, ENT, Orthopedics, Plastics, Podiatry, OB/GYN, Allergies, General Surgery and Internist
- Orders immunizations and keeps state records for the Immunization Program
- Triages phone calls
- Ability to set-up and start IVs
- Take X-Rays (this will be at certain clinics)
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION: Must possess, as a minimum, Nursing Degree from an accredited college or be a graduate of an approved Licensed Practical Nursing Program.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: One year of experience as a medical assistant in a clinical setting
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY QUALIFICATIONS: Must possess current LPN license through the State of Washington, CPR certification
- Knowledge of medical practice and care to assist in giving patient care
- Knowledge of examination, diagnostic, and treatment room procedures
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment
- Skill in assisting in a variety of treatments and medications as directed
- Skill in taking vital signs
- Skill in maintaining records and recording test results.
- Skill in developing and maintaining clinic quality assurance
- Skill in establishing and maintaining positive effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, employees, and the public
- Ability to maintain quality control standards
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures
- Ability to communicate clearly in English
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation to type patient information
- Skill in data entry and operating office equipment
- Skill in greeting patients and answering the telephone in a pleasant and helpful manner
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instruction
- Ability to sort and file materials correctly by alphabetic or numeric systems
- Ability to maintain a professional manner as well as accurate work production during stressful working conditions
- Knowledge of medical insurance plans and requirements for preauthorization preferred
- Skill in greeting and scheduling patients
- Knowledge of CPT-4 & ICD-9 codes and a general understanding of the billing/payment process
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment. Work may be stressful at times. Interaction with others is constant and interruptive
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Involves standing and walking. Requires normal visual acuity and hearing. Requires exposure to bodily fluids. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, calculator, telephone, copier and such other office equipment as necessary. Vision must be correctable to 20/20 and hearing must be in normal range for telephone contacts. Work environment can be stressful.
OTHER DUTIES – Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.